Zebra Mussel

Spot the stripes, stop the spread.

Aquatic Invasive Species Notice

Putting away your watercraft and water-related equipment for the season? You may need a Transportation Authorization.

If you are removing watercraft or water-related equipment from zebra mussel invaded waters you may need a Transportation Authorization. A Transportation Authorization will allow you to legally transport watercraft or water-related equipment that may have aquatic invasive species, such as zebra mussels on it.

When removing watercraft, trailers, or water-related equipment from Manitoba water bodies and before transporting them away from the shore, you must:

It may not be possible to remove all the zebra mussels from moored watercraft before leaving the shore at the end of the season. In this situation, you must first get a Transportation Authorization, before you can legally transport watercraft and water-related equipment from the water body to another location to be decontaminated.

To request a Transportation Authorization email Laureen.Janusz@gov.mb.ca or call 204-793-1154.

Please be prepared to provide the following information:

  1. Your name, mailing address, phone number and email address.
  2. Watercraft details including the type (ex: sailboat, JetSkiŽ), the manufacturer, model, length, engine type, and watercraft registration number.
  3. Water-related equipment details such as type(s) and quantity (ex: three buoys, one anchor)
  4. Current location of watercraft or equipment -- water body and harbour (if relevant).
  5. Decontamination location including street address, city, province/state, postal or area code.
  6. Date the watercraft or water-related equipment is being transported.
  7. If someone else, or an agency is making a request on your behalf to transport watercraft or water-related equipment, that person must provide his/her name, or the name of the agency, mailing address, phone, email address.

Thank you for your co-operation and help in preventing the spread of zebra mussels.